Wednesday, February 19, 2014

#WigWednesday Wig Care Tutorial: How to Brush a Wig

Hello wig lovers!!! Today I am here to kick off a brand new series on my blog for #WigWednesday. I'd like to help you with caring for your wigs to get the longest life out of them as possible. This is a topic I get asked about on my Facebook page so often that I felt it deserved not just a tutorial post, but a tutorial series, so I hope you find it informative! Check back every Wednesday for the duration of the series for more wig care quick tips!

So, you love your Gothic Lolita Wig or RockStar Wig. I get it. We all do.
Even though the quality is top notch, you wear it all the time (through high winds and summer humidity and an accidental rain storm) and it's starting to look a little beat up. Can you restore it or is it trash?

Before you toss your perfectly good wig, try taking a few steps to restore it to its former beauty.

For the launch of the series, we are going to start with one of the most basic tips of wig care: How to Brush a Wig. I know it may seem simple to you seasoned pros of wig care, but for many, this is a quick way to ruin a wig. Lots of people don't even know that there is a wrong way to brush a wig! Each Wednesday with cover a different topic, and after today, they will be much more specific! So let's get to it!

How to Brush a Wig

There are a few ways to properly and safely brush your wig. First of all, let's start with the basics. Your tools!


NEVER, NEVER, NEVER brush your wig with a standard hair brush that you would brush your natural hair with. It will damage the fibers and can completely ruin your wig. Only use a wig brush or a wide-toothed comb.

There are many ways to brush wigs, but my favorite ways are to brush with a wide-toothed comb and finger-combing. I like using a wide-toothed comb over a wig brush because it gives you more control and they are very inexpensive and readily available at lots of stores. Finger-combing (brushing with your fingers) is nice for daily upkeep because it's easy, you always having your fingers with you, and you can style and finger comb at the same time. The downside of finger-combing is that it is harder to get out larger and tougher tangles.

The best way to brush a wig is from the bottom up. Start with detangling the ends of the hair, and SLOWLY work your way up to the top of the wig (brushing downwards- NO BACKCOMBING! unless you want your wig to be forever a poof ball). Detangling a badly knotted wig requires a lot of patience. You can also use wig conditioner to help detangle wigs. I don't have experience with wig conditioner, so I'm not going to talk about that, but just know that such a product exists for you to experiment with. Buying a bottle of wig conditioner is cheaper than replacing your entire wig.

I like to lightly brush & care for my wig after EACH WEAR before storing it. This helps them keeping nice and prevents build up of tangles that become harder and harder to get out.

And that's it! I told you they were QUICK tips! Check back next Wednesday for:
How to Brush and Restore Straight Wigs

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

No comments:

Post a Comment